Monday, March 31, 2014

Influences


These were my companions last weekend & I was glad I didn't stick to one amp.

It's not about superiority but about influence; each amp subliminally made me play differently. The aggression from the 5150 means I was induced to churn out lots of metal-type riffs & when I'm I at it, I tend to get carried away. I would end up playing ideas from start to end & there's more emphasis on arrangement. When I plug into my Marshalls (this 1W JVM is one of them), I tend to be more technical so my plyaing moments would be filled with solos & more precision would be heard; more often than not it's about nailing something my way. The playing would border on the obsessive, doing things repeatedly with tempo variation.

From this perspective, we'd ask ourselves if we indeed require more than an amp to get things done 'properly'. However, amplifier investments are costly & it requires more space at home than owning more than one guitar. Thankfully, amp modelling today helps us achieve this objective without the cost & space issues. But liking what the digital world has to offering is a different thing altogether :-)

PS: Wishing everyone a good closure to March.

1 comment:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

must have atleast 1 workhorse amp for those impromptu shows :)