Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Voivod: Target earth

I overlooked this album. Was a fan of Voivod since the early days but after Piggy's demise, they were off my radar. Especially when Newstead was in there briefly & whoever came by to do guitars for the band; I thought it was too much but Target Earth made the difference. I'd see it as a come-back release somewhat & the turning point was guitarist Daniel Mongrain's decision to stay put in the band for a while.

I might be marginalizing some perspectives but having someone who knows what he's doing helps. Mongrain is jazz-trained but we won't hear the jazz shenanigans in this context. In fact, he made sure things are purely Voivod from the guitar perspective & the intensity of the music was not lost. So for the month of February, Target Earth & Brett Garsed were pretty much in my ears to & from work. Never dismiss the old guards. A taster of what's on offer:



No comments: