Saturday, July 22, 2023

Review quickie: Seymour Duncan Psychedelic (neck)


I'm not really a single coil fan but I appreciate the clarity offered by single coils & its lush applications with chorus. I only got this pickup in search of a neck replacement that is out of my comfort zone. The Psychedelic came to mind as it sports a scooped EQ which I totally detest.

Likes
  • Clarity
  • Good for both clean & overdriven tones
Dislikes
  • Lacks bottom end

As you can see from the image above, the Psychedelic is a scooped player in all positions. In use, I could hardly detect a marked scooped tone. It's all about the treble here which others might disagree. As it is a neck unit, I had the tone control maxed out to prevent any muddy definition & it sounded sweet with distortion. Clean, it performed equally well. If you are into sweep arpeggios, this is a good pickup option. With reference to the SSL-1 which is arguably the benchmark for decent single coil tones, the Psychedelic isn't too different, I hear a stronger treble response from this one which might appeal more to those of us who solo in the neck position.

Rating: 89%

Seymour Duncan: Psychedelic Strat
Availability: Davis GMC
List: $125

Pics: Seymour Duncan

No comments: