Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Price watch (68): Rotten edition

Folks, I've never done this before, it's a first. This guitar is currently an active listing in the aftermarket. The Jackson Minion Series is a short scale instrument & it doesn't come with a bag. The price you see there is the latest revision by the seller.

Seller gave me the lowest rating based on the reason stated above.


I was not agreeable with the initial price as it did not come with a bag. If I have to purchase one from Swee Lee, it would set me back another $75. Seller shared he wanted a Floyd-type bridge instead & asked me stuff about whether some Jackson guitars can be modded to fit one. My due advise was that the default cavity in any guitar should be big enough to accommodate the FR bridge dimension. Cavities for traditional whammy bridge (eg. that of a Strat / non-Floyd Jackson) would not fit the FR model. I also advised him to buy a guitar with an FR bridge already fitted in as the cost of re-routing a cavity is not cheap. He finally asked me if $200 is an agreeable price & I agreed hence the screen grab you see here.

And then this happened - he raised the price which effectively voided the previous agreement. I politely backed out. Note the time & date of this comm.

Two days later, another comm was made & again I politely reminded him it was a no go. Coming back to the rating screen grab - note that seller got back to me two days later... how was this a 'back out last minute'? Mind you, I backed out immediately & from the conversations you see above, it seems that the seller did not understand the crux of the matter. Also, would you communicate with someone at 2am in the morning?

I hereby re-iterate the fact that sometimes, I am being too nice to people. If you are fuzzy with buy-sell terms, note that once an offer is accepted, the agreement is binding. If any terms of the agreement change without the other party agreeing to it, the agreement is void. If you fail to understand the mechanics of contract law, it might be the reason why you are bent on blaming the other party for something you failed to begin with.

I already own an RR Minion, I am negotiating this deal for a young learner. At this time of the year, I am happy to facilitate meaningful indulgences to keep kids out of trouble during the year end school holidays. Picking up music / learning to play an instrument is certainly one of them. I also make it a point not to expend too much energy dealing with such individuals - simply not worth it. 

PS: If you know this individual personally, maybe you can share with me stuff to make me understand why he behaved this way. This is not a doxxing exercise, I have made efforts to conceal his i/d. See... I'm still being too nice to people who treated me like trash.

2 comments:

TK said...

Judging from their other reviews, looks like they’re just an immature teenager with no sense of honesty. Unfortunate. Soft.com.sg used to be filled with children like that

subversion.sg said...

Regardless of who they are, we need to be wary of such individuals. They should be black listed or at least red-flagged.