Wednesday, March 27, 2024

MOMM: Pick from the 90s


The '90s... that time when grunge took over & the affiliation for guitars suffered an internal conflict; minimalism vs extremism. Why did we bother to contemplate at all, if we were true music fans, really. Anyway, I got sucked into grungefest briefly before realizing my true inclinations & the need to return to what makes me tick - metal. The above three albums were on my playlist, so to speak, considering 'playlist' back then was that bunch of cassette tapes or CDs you always brought along in your bag.

Bathory: Octagon (1995)
This is one of those glorious cassette tapes I own back then & it was a legit local copy. The original version cost nearly thrice as much. I have a soft spot for this one as opposed to the cult favourites - Blood, Fire, Death / Hammerheart - as it retains a substantial amount of right hand chugging while treading the extreme metal domain. One of those very addictive HM-2 tones are here for your reverence.

Morbid Angel: Covenant (1993)
Another esteemed favourite in cassette tape form. Its predecessor, Blessed Are the Sick (1991), was a let down for me; the band bloody slowed down. Covenant re-visited the speed aspects of the band's music albeit not entirely. This is also the first album without the late Richard Brunelle so Trey forged the guitar works here alone & he did fine but the solos hinted going south. We could all agree that Brunelle was the better player between them. 

Slayer: Undisputed Attitude (1996)
This album was part of my initial years in the CD domain. Back then, I really had to save good money to purchase CDs. One CD could have easily gotten me 3 cassette tapes so some intense considerations really needed to happen before I parted with money. This album got me thinking hard because it was an EP of punk covers done the Slayer way, there's only one new song on offer; Gemini (which became my personal favourite very quickly). In the midst of all the CD buying, I still needed to buy guitar strings so the struggle was real. 

Pics: Last FM / Amazon 

No comments: