Sunday, April 13, 2008

EHX: Metal Muff

I'm definitely a fan of intense distortion but my primary reliance are my amps' on-board drive. I hear better guitar-tone manifestation when I employ a straight-through set up but on days when I get bored, my pedals get me by creeping time...

Electro Harmonix has been too well known for its fuzz-type tone association, if you are a fuzz fan, the Big Muff is definitely an entry in your register. However, the manufacturer has a derivative of the fuzz which serves the proponents of intensity (aka: Metal) which are worthy of your set-up: the Metal Muff.

The primary incarnation consists of a 3-band EQ & an added feature which spikes your top end; the TOP BOOST function, as the manufacturer calls it. Before you ditch your current metal-type distortion, be informed that the Metal Muff still contain the fuzz quality in its overall voicing but it is in peppered amount because if you wish to acquire a fuzz-type drive, the Big Muff is still the way to go.

I have since bought the other 2 derivatives of the MM which are the MINI & Pocket MM; variations of the same theme, you could say that. In addition to the novelty factor, these other versions would serve to appeal to players who simply do not need the TOP BOOST function but are hooked on the original's distortion voicing. So for those of you in search of an alternative pedal to propel your metal, the MM could just make your day.

No comments: