Sunday, April 13, 2008

Laney: LC50

There's something about the Laney tube drive that makes me dislike it; it sounds half-baked, regardless of the various models on offer. Nevertheless, I was made to play it again just days ago while trying out Ibanez's new Iceman IC700...

I was kinda upset having to plug the guitar into the LC50, the brand name aside, if it's something one dislikes, it becomes abominable & having to hear it in action is a torture. However, knowing the repulsive, half-cooked drive nature on board, I duly plugged in my miracle worker to help me boost the overall drive performance- the Guyatone OD2+ & the result was all smiles.

This is one of those amps out there which would manifest more appeal once you give it a drive kick; relate how you perform better once you down that can of Red Bull. On a personal note, I became more spirited after taking a peek to see the default drivers in the cab: none other than my fav Celestion Seventy 80!!

Nevertheless, the LC50 loses out in terms of price appeal; would you pay >$2K for a 50W, 1x12 combo?

PS: Pictured here is the former LC50 design, visit the manufacturer's website to see the revised LC50 look.

2 comments:

robert said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
robert said...

A sound clip woulda been nice.