Monday, June 6, 2011

Strings Sunday

Was in town yesterday, despite the foul weather, to get strings. Glad I took the train as the news reported flooding at the Orchard Road stretch. Purchased the above 3 packs:
  • Dr Duck nickel alloy set. I've not tried them for quite some time now, I feel the need to 'remember' the feel of strings which I seldom use.
  • SIT Power Steels. Some of you might know that the SITs are rather bend-friendly, even the steel set. This 'soft' factor might be the reason why my frets last longer. Since the steel Curt Mangans are not available, I've been turning to SIT/ D'Addario for my steel needs.
  • Schecter Decimator for 8-string guitars. It's not easy owning 8-string guitars, strings availability is a recurring pain I have to deal with. The Decimator is really testing my patience, not that they are lousy but they are essentially a set of 10s which isn't my preferred range...
For the record, I have tried the following string brands throughout the years: Ernie Ball/ D'Addario/ Rotosound/ ESP/ Curt Mangan/ Pyramid/ Yamaha/ Dean Markley/ Electro Harmonix/ D'Arco/ Everly/ Tone Drive/ GHS/ DR/ SIT/ Cleartone/ Schecter/ Brooklyn Gear/ Fender/ Gibson/ K-Garage/ Black Diamond/ Marshall

5 comments:

naz said...

Interesting topic and review... I tried to try out diff strings brand, but kept going back to the same ones. Either Ghs or Ernie ball. Might give the coated gallistring a try...

Ijau D. Koceng said...

have u tried cheap strings like stagg and alice?

subversion.sg said...

the really cheap strings i've tried were the K-Garage set- not even $4...

Anonymous said...

o.O not even $4?? how do they compare to say the GHS boomers(which i use now cos they're the cheapest i can find lol)??

subversion.sg said...

they are just get-by strings; do not expect fantastic durability/ feel.