Sunday, July 24, 2011

Matt Schofield: Anything but Time

This is a great blues album by Matt Schofield, a true class act. I have limited patience for the blues namely due to the fact that the same notes are being played, recycled & rehashed without much fresh perspective. But that was an account of the past, I think I forced myself to listen to the old-school blues players too much, (no disrespect to them), who rooted themselves in melancholy & excessive vibrato, he he... Then I discovered Stevie Ray, Kenny Wayne Sheppard & Chris Duarte, among others- these are the people who showed the world that the blues can be dirge-free, certainly my kind of blues. However, like all true blues album, Anything but Time contains one such aforementioned patience-taxing track; See Me Through. But that's been deleted from my playlist. For the whole of last week, Anything but Time was my companion to & from work. Listening to players like Matt Schofield, who paid much attention to tone refinement is important because it forces us to leave the technical priority aside to appreciate an important aspect of music- tone. I personally like the guitar tones here, it moved away from the traditionally clean setting to a much more distorted working tone. An absolutely worthy purchase.

No comments: