Friday, February 1, 2013

Gibson: Les Paul Jr Special... DiMarzio-ed

My Les Paul Jr Special is now housing a pair of DiMarzios: Humbucker from Hell (N) & Tone Zone (B).

Humbucker from Hell- one of my preferred DiMarzios in the neck position, great clarity for both clean & driven tones. It has this crisp upper end that doesn't sound wimpy. That clean- it's a good clean but not leaning towards the vintage type so it's a preferred clean indeed.

The Tone Zone isn't my thing- I've had it in many guitars before, it just doesn't appeal to me. I've decided to just have it here, no matter how repulsive it sounds to me because I acknowledge the fact that the TZ is a worthy pickup for distortion inclined applications, it's just not singing my tune. So it's my job to struggle & make it sound at least acceptable to me, so this way, I learn something new every time :-) A little sado-masochistic but it does me good.

Superb wiring courtesy of Beez!

4 comments:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

<- tone zone user :)

but i prefer super distortion instead

subversion.sg said...

I always come back to dimarzio's D Activator & Super Distortion pickups for a preferred tone :-)

Benja said...

i used to use a tonezone! the unique tone was kinda in the ballpark but i wasn't too satisfied by the amount of saturation i was getting. i decided to try an airzone instead and now i'm happy! the smaller output helps a lot in dynamic range :)

subversion.sg said...

the Airzone i like- the neck version :-)