Sunday, February 10, 2013

Knowing & using

It's the Lunar New Year eve & I've got some guitar playing time in hand so it's grind-shredding till sundown with my Ibanez S420. It's not about the guitar, really. It's about hearing the suitable tone for the task. I was basically trying to fuse some black metal ideas with lots of solos (Abgott style if you will...) so I know there is a need to address this aggression cum  & I restricted myself to passive pickups. As I've virtually tried/ owned every passive Seymour Duncan pickups out there (the ones that made it here, that is) I know my Pearly Gates pair are up to it.

But hey, the manufacturer says these PGs are meant more for high octane Southern rock, features a polite Alnico II magnet & was EQ-ed to manifest a curbed bass response but excessive treble. How could this serve the average metal maniac who needs a thumping low end for the meanest distortion delivery? But it's not about what's specified on paper but what you hear in action. The PG has this cutting top end that sizzles with lots of distortion. It might be the Southern rockers' staple but it definitely works for metal. All I needed to do next was turn up the bass at the amp & I'm done. The weight of my S420 also did its part in pushing more bottom end at the amp side. Yes, many manufacturers out there conceived certain products for a specific purpose but if you are inclined to your gear, you know what works & what won't. It's all a matter of knowing what to use, how to use them.

No comments: