Monday, May 13, 2013

Insole inline

My Ibanez 'goldie' is still undergoing a make-over. When the body was sent for a re-finish, the lining in the bridge cavity had to be removed to accommodate the paint. However, the agony of hunting for a replacement lining, akin to a gasket of sorts, was painful. It's not sold at guitar stores under replacement parts- hopeless. Hardware stores offer a thick, foam-like material, unsuitable for this application as it will hinder the bridge movement more than providing a fundamental cushion for the job. It was a futile hunt, I was on the verge of giving up & resorting to some fabric substitute when I came across a shoe insole, the thinnest on offer. It has a rubber surface on one side with a pseudo leather feel on the other, all for $2 a pair. A suitable outline was traced out on the insole & cut accordingly so the end product  is what you see above (arrowed). It's hardly 2mm thick so it's definitely suitable for the job.

I hope to get my goldie done up this week.

4 comments:

Schizetia said...

Where did you send the guitar for refinish?

subversion.sg said...

car paint shop...

Schizetia said...

Can I have the address of the car paint shop if you don't mind? Interested in getting my guitar refinish.

YusTech said...

This is good Tech Tip.Kudos Bro.