Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Headstrong

I've been holding back on this amp, waiting for further developments in terms of variety. The EVH 5150III had gone from a strict 100W offering to a 50W spinoff we see in the stores. I think I waited a little too long because the cream version that I wish to acquire had been sold out hence the black consolation here.

The thing with Van Halen when it comes to his amps, regardless of the brand name that he endorses, he would firmly bring over his signature tone to the holding brand. In fact, I hear a little refinement in this Fender version (despite the EVH brand taking a forefront when it comes to marketing), it's less treble excessive, that's my only despondence with the Peavey version, the reason why I rejected this amp then- in its previous life. Ditto the cleans; the Peavey incarnation had limited headroom in the clean channel, it would break up rather early in the volume stages & further compounded by your high output pickups.

Everything's thumbs up so far with the 5150III. I'm not after Van Halen's brown sound; this was never on the agenda. I'm impressed with the amp's drive saturation. I'd save this elaboration for another entry :-)

2 comments:

ikiko karbonat said...

pure coincidence cos i just purchased mine. we should meet up abang. i still owe you coffee :)

subversion.sg said...

I am lacking an American voiced amp at home, not saying my Marshall & Laney are not up to it in terms of distortion but this 5150 covers a different turf :-)