Saturday, February 1, 2014

That many

I began February with a realization that I've been through so many Seymour Ducan pickups. These are product labels lined in the pickup's box & I've kept them throughout the years. Some of them were snipped for my neck shimming adventures; I discovered they are slightly thinner than the cigarette box material & offer a different leverage at the body's neck pockets. Other than that, I just wanted to keep track of how many Duncans came my way since 1996 :-)

I actually own more pickups than the number of labels displayed above, I didn't retain the first few ones I purchased namely the Stag Mag & Seth Lover models. Seymour Duncan will continue to be my go-to pickups in time to come. Summary of the colours seen here:
  • RED: regular-spaced humbuckers
  • BLUE: Single coils
  • GREEN: Trembucker-spaced humbuckers
  • ORANGE: Custom Shop colours

5 comments:

Godsmen said...

What a beautiful collection :)

qwer said...

Sub! Can you recommend me a single coil neck pickup to match with my humbucker in the bridge? I am using a HSS strat, bridge pickup is medium output.

Im looking for a neck pickup that is not so "thin" sounding like normal single coils but still retaining a single coil character (somewhere inbetween humbucker and single coil maybe?).

I dont mind either humcancelling or true single coil. Thanks in advance!

subversion.sg said...

Hi my friend :-)

Neck pickup considerations is a little tricky because we often feel uneasy if our neck unit doesn't pair up well with others in our instrument but that's the reality of it- pickups in different positions were meant to react differently. But there are some of us out there (many I suppose) who wants things to be consistent somewhat, regardless of the pickup's position.

So my friend, the recommended Duncan neck to match a medium output bridge humbucker (from personal experience more than anything else):

*Custom flat/ staggered- contains the beef to match a humbucker voicing while still staying on single coil grounds

*Malmsteen's Fury- he kept it medium output for a reason :-) this one's hum cancelling as well but the single coil attributes are well in place

*Classic Stack Plus- I've pretty much embraced this one since I tried it. Despite being a lower output unit, it sounds very beefy with distortion. It also proves the fact that high output doesn't equal more menacing- no.

*Quarter Pound flat/staggered- I think this is the only high output single coil I like from Duncan, threatening to spill into P-90 fatness while still remaining twangy. As it's a true single coil, it's not hum-cancelling so keep this in mind if you are somewhat drive-inclined

*Parallel Axis stack- last but not least, the PA singlecoil is sweet. I'd say it's a hybrid in terms of tone; rounded top end like a humbucker but still twangy should the need arise. Recommended for players who are in search of a smooth tome more than anything else

Hope this helps :-) If you have any other model not listed here, do get back to me.

qwer said...

Thanks Sub! I will definately go research on those mentioned. Thanks again man :)

Most likely will be going with the stack plus!

qwer said...

Thanks Sub! I will definately go research on those mentioned. Thanks again man :)

Most likely will be going with the stack plus!