Friday, April 11, 2014

Cynic: Kindly bent to free us

After grappling with this album for weeks, I have come to accept that it's a departure from its predecessors; this isn't the Cynic which everyone revered in metaldom. There are no death metal growls, only clean vocals & the guitars are not very engaging in terms of intricacy. In fact, it barely scratches its fine form offering only crunch-type distortion & no flash. It's all about delivery, Paul Masvidal & Co. have embraced necessity rather than release an album to prove a point. Whatever was to be proven was delivered two releases ago & the band had moved on. This isn't metal in my opinion, it's geek prog & should attract a fresh fan base. Personally, I think I've wasted my time trying to interpret where Paul Masvidal & gang are heading. To me, this is a down release, I have other albums to relate to. Upset, to put it mildly. Kindly release another album to assure us.

1 comment:

metal brain asylum said...

Opeth is going the same directiom imo. Less less and less metal. It really upset me.hahaha