Saturday, December 27, 2014

Ibanez: SA960QM (owner's take)

So the Ibanez SA960QM was my final acquisition for 2014. It's in tip-top condition (or so I thought) but I bought this in hurried circumstances; the store was crowded with Xmas shoppers, everyone was trying something at every available amplifier, noisy was a polite reference of the situation. When I brought it home, it was only then that I heard the fret buzzing across the neck at the 15th - 22nd frets for virtually all strings. Some work had to be done to the neck, some frets had to be hammered in place & saddles were re-shimmed; it took longer than necessary because there were no ready spares. I had to improvise with aluminium foil (rather happy with my problem-solving skills at the end of it all). Despite being frustrated, I was OK with how things turned out in the end considering it managed to adapt to my low-profile action.

Moral of the story- if the circumstances are affecting your pre-purchase instrument scrutiny, you are better off buying on another day.

I have other purchases prior to this one & that's for other blog entries before 2014 ends, of course.

3 comments:

YusTech said...

How is that Trem felt.Is it smooth like the ZR's.?

vicmusic2 said...

Hi Sub, can alternate tunings such as CGCGGE be done on this guitar? Tks, Vic

subversion.sg said...

Bro Yus, this is indeed the ZR bridge, just an economical version. Can't say it's smoother but comparable.

Victor, bro, the guitar is competent to alternative tunings just that one requires to compensate the tension every time ��