Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Grateful

I'd like to thank Beez for having this done on time. The pot of this Ibanez GRGR010LTD went dead but it's the usual diagnosis- corrosion. I had been keeping it alive via contact spraying but there's only so much such temporary remedy could do. Despite closing at 4.00PM on some days, Beez would make it a point to wait up for customers who are delayed by inclement weather or held up by traffic jams so thumbs up to Master Beez.

I'm not a collector- honest. I don't go all out to invest in collectibles, special editions, limited releases, etc. I don't purchase instruments in the hope that they would appreciate in value over time; that's not my primary concern. I pay good money for guitars that connect with me, the ones that become the extension of my ideas, regardless of the brand name or the standard that they bear. Take this Ibanez you see here for instance, it's an entry level GIO model. When it was in its original incarnation, the default pickup wasn't fantastic. It sounded awesome with high wattage, high gain amps but clean-wise, it was beyond bleargh! So I had a Duncan Custom Custom in there & had that cover installed as novelty. The default pot also made way for a smoother alternative & it instantly became an appeal as opposed to an excess. 

For many of us, we wouldn't dare spend on entry level instruments especially after we have acquired our dream machine; an up-there model with lots of drool-worthy appointments. My take here is to embrace an honest, economical guitar, one that got you thinking in terms of performance above other considerations & keep it as a second fiddle (OK maybe you have more than 2 guitars thereafter). Come back to it on days when you think you are at the top of your game only to be humbled by that secondary implement that requires you to focus on the things that you have taken for granted; bends, left hand vibrato, muting, picking accuracy & the list goes on. This will complete you as a player, the ability to check & correct yourselves with the instruments you own because you had put some thinking into your purchases instead of spending everything on snob appeal.

No comments: