Monday, March 23, 2015

Absent guidance

When I started out, fretboard markers were crucial. The fundamental dots were my numerical markings for notes. They were there for absolute references. Subsequently, they confused me as I own both 22-fret & 24-fret guitars. The 2-fret difference is a small issue to many other players but for someone who is musically illiterate & banking on visual references, those 2 digits were make or break for me on many instances. 

Then came a time when I told myself, surely, I could do without those markers because those blind players, they adapted from day one. If they could do it with a handicap, those without such an issue could surely adapt. That was when I bought this Yamaha RGX A2, it's my initial foray into marker-less territory but it was a breeze in terms of adaptability. I guess by then, my ears were guiding my playing more than my eyes. This was the reason why I could still play while watching TV & for the record, I could pretty much play if you blindfolded me. It's no longer about looking & knowing where to place one's fingers, it's about instantly recalling the placement of that 'sound' & being one with the instrument. These days, I prefer a blank fretboard; it's the freedom to travel without being reminded where you are.