Saturday, June 13, 2015

Duncanized: MM SG

This Gibson Melody Maker SG was going to be on my regrettable acquisition list. Slowly but surely, I disliked it every time I plugged it in. However, after some considerations, I was actually bothered by its tone & this, somehow, made every playing experience objectionable.

There's actually a simple reason why that happened; there's a Gibson pickup in there. Despite being a ceramic based humbucker, the default pickup wasn't as likable as I hoped it to be, with high gain settings. This pretty much sums up my episodes with other Gibson pickups as well, I dislike what Gibson has to offer tone-wise (less the 500T/496R combo). So what took its place, as depicted above, is one of Seymour Duncan's Custom Shop offering. Ironically, it's only sporting an Alnico V magnet but it made the difference. There's a more pronounced single note definition & I find that important because my ideas are based on single notes run as opposed to hearing chords in action.

Thanks to Beez once again for his mastery in electronics make-over.

No comments: