Tuesday, June 9, 2015

EZ on the way home

The only reason why my hearing is still good albeit the exposure to loud music most of the time, is the fact that I stuff my ears during train & bus rides. Those low frequency hum from engines & rail screeching in the subway are destroying frequency definition. Your ears are constantly being poisoned by those background noises on a daily basis so to speak, you should be doing something about it. For me I make sure my ear phones are noise-cancelling & the music is at a volume level slightly above the background trash. I don't just listen to the guitar-inclined stuff, in fact, I've compiled an easy-listening playlist for the ride home recently:
  1. Rod Stewart- Some guys have all the luck. One of the more energetic numbers by Mr. Stewart which is really easy on the ears. My all time favourite, definitely.
  2. Debbie Gibson- If we could be together. There are several versions of this one, I enjoy the original take & the unplugged, 'camp fire' mix. Ms Gibson made it big in her teens way back then & that adolescent ring to her voice was what I was agreeable with every time I hear her on the radio.
  3. Robert Palmer- Mercy, mercy, me. I first got interested in Mr. Palmer after watching that Pepsi ad on TV. It took me a while to find his albums, thanks to MPH (Stamford Rd branch), I have some of his best tunes on CD.
  4. Simply Red- Stars. The '90s was a down time for me in terms of good music playing on the radio but Mick Hucknall kept the standard high in terms of vocal performances & this song is easily my favourite number from the man.
  5. Beyonce- Single Ladies. Because Mariah Carey is over-rated, Beyonce is there to remind everyone out there what good singing is all about. Another energetic number on my list but this one puts me at ease all the time.
  6. Sheena Easton- Morning Train. I grew up in the '80s & this was one of the more memorable tunes by a lady in the midst of my Depeche Mode indulgences.
  7. Jamie Cullum- Mind Trick. Easily joining Stevie Wonder & Elton John as one of the best piano-playing singer ever. OK, at least to me.
  8. Celine Dionne/ Stevie Wonder- Overjoyed. Easily one of the best songs to be re-recorded & done to taste. This one is simply flippin' good listened to at ANY time of the day. Saving the best for last.

No comments: