Tuesday, June 16, 2015

CS Duncan

I always have this urge to try something new, something a little different, something with a healthy tinge of waywardness so I forked out good money (this costs 50% more than its regular sigling) for this Seymour Duncan Custom Shop humbucker (available at Davis GMC). What's so wayward about this one? It sports a double row of slotted pole pieces which isn't featured in the standard range. The manufacturer did a relic finish which was irksome to me so I did away with that by cleaning it up, making it as regular as it should look. 

It features an Alnico V magnet so it has an above-average clean response which is enough for me. The drive tone was what I was looking for; a good midrange definition with great bottom end boost. Yes, it does incline towards the vintage tone but not excessively. In fact, it sounds rather biting with a very high gain distortion dialed in. This pickup is now resident in my Melody Maker SG whose default pickup, ironically, sports a stronger ceramic magnet but that didn't appeal to me tone-wise.

No comments: