Saturday, November 7, 2015

Tools

Song-writing mode ON. It's not easy composing an instrumental, especially with limitations. That's right, I'm working with clean tones which isn't my forte but it opened up some other perspectives which, I must say, is a positive one. It's one of the reasons I bought that MP Royal Blue OD. That would be another account for another day but today it's something else.

For those of us with objectives in mind, we need tools to get some things done. That's right, tools. I am a guitar-amp person, my ideas do not require implements of the pedal kind. However, in this case, some things are necessary (one more time) to get the job done. We need to be objective under such circumstances & perhaps put our EGOs aside. 

Seen above: 
  • Digitech: Jam Man express- Because I work alone, I don't have someone to play chords for me while I work something out so this was necessary. You might say the more capable among us can keep those chords going in our heads but if you do it in real time, you'd be better off in terms of efficiency & accuracy. I'm glad to have a looping unit around in times of need.
  • Mad Professor: Royal Blue OD- I'm not a fan of wimpy drive pedals, I'm drive inclined (rather excessive), I invest in the hard-hitting stuff. The danger here is that the hard-hitting stuff weren't conceived to be immaculate when subtle responses are required. The RB OD is one of those that cuts both ways, intense when you dial things up, very booster like when you keep the Drive control in check. Good stuff, this one.

7 comments:

ikiko karbonat said...

Hi sir may i get your feedback on eii horizon iii specifically the one in reindeer blue ? Havent seen you review it yet. Is it available now still ?

subversion.sg said...

howdy :-) I've not played this guitar but i own the ESP version, the one with the Floyd bridge. it's a great distortion-friendly guitar, worth every cent. finished neck- be warned.

JayClones said...

Hi sub.
Any recommendation for an OD of similiar versatility like this MP overdrive but of lower price tag?

subversion.sg said...

That has to be JOYO's Blue Rain but it's an adapter only pedal. Also, the size might put you off but it's the one for me :-)

JayClones said...

Thanks, bro.
Will check it out!!

JayClones said...

Bought the Mad Professor Royal Blue Overdrive after i made comparison with Modtone Bohemian.
Joyo Blue Rain to small and toyish for my likings.
Thanks for the recommendation, bro.
I really like the transprency of MP RB ovedrive and how it response with ur picking:)

subversion.sg said...

The RB was a surprise to me since I'm not someone interested in the MP range of pedals but it's wide range was sheer attraction. The Bohemian OD was a disappointment...