Thursday, October 24, 2019

Now is the time


Folks, this entry is responding to a friend's query, "Is it a good time to buy an LP Standard?" We note the current price as stated above for both the 50s/60s version. They are both LP Standards & Gibson pricing them equally is the most sensible thing to do. If one is pricier than the other, there's this implication that one is 'better' or more valuable than the other. That figure there is also a fair amount & here's why:


We take a look at how much the LP Standard would have cost you if you decided to buy one earlier. For the past three years, the prices had been excessive. Even 2016's digits are slightly off the current asking price & it's not worth the trouble namely because the models adhered to the Juszkiewicz's  embrace of chambering out the body. It's not a bad thing altogether but it's not what a Les Paul is all about. Being a Gibson dissident all along, I've learnt to embrace the heftier models over the contemporary interpretations & it's all about the tone. All this thanks to the Traditional model that kept things very close to, you guessed it, tradition. 2017's QC was more misses than hits so let's not go there while 2018's asking price was absurd (& we don't want those coil-split whatever to desecrate the LP ear candy). A year on & your dream Les Paul would save you nearly $1K for other considerations; an amp, some pedals or even a quick holiday to nearby destinations (assuming you're keeping your quickie low key, of course). 

Despite the self-preservation mess Gibson is in right now, you know they did the right thing when it comes to prices & giving players what they want. You have options as well, if you wish to tread the traditional path, you're good. If you decide to stray into the modern path, you won't be totally off course either. It's good both ways. So all ye who art constraining thyself, 2019 is a move ahead when it comes to the LP Standard. I'm waiting for the 'right' one to be here. Soon, hopefully.

2 comments:

Vic said...

Hi Bro, I think I'm one of the odd guys there that don't find Gibby LPs any good.
I haven't found one that I liked, they weighed too heavy, higher frets are a pain to reach, frets feel small, uncomfortable playing body that digs into the arm, expensive etc.

Am I the only person that feels that there are alot of used LPs on the market?

I just dont understand the big deal about these guitars.
I gravitate to my AZ or Kiesel any day.
Am I weird? Pls enlighten me. Thanks.

subversion.sg said...

I have my AZ & Kiesel moments as well. And then I have my LP moments. I might be one of the intense LP haters when I started out. The LP is a tool that will serve certain masters, it's certainly not an end-all reference. I've grown to appreciate what the LP has to offer, certainly not switching camps an yh time. 🙃