Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Classic catch


I had no plans to get anything from the recent Swee Lee sale except that Epiphone Viola bass for my dad; it was an easy decision. Maybe those stash of D'Addario & Harmony strings were part of the plan as well. But when they slashed prices by 40% on the final two days of the sale, some guitars in store were under my serious considerations. Inevitably, this early 2019 Les Paul Classic went home with me. I preferred a non-black option but choosers are losers during such times.       

Another blank truss rod cover treatment. 


I'm actually OK with these so called modern electronics. Those CTS embossed pot base plates remind owners they are worthy components in this rather crowded existence. I thought the tone taper is rather impressive & hope the magic came from those yellow capacitors there - look suspiciously like a pair of Mallories. 


I had a negative experience with Gibson's '61 humbucker in a Melody Maker. I guess the 61 needs a hefty body to make it sound, at the very least, useful. That's what is happening here, the '61 has that rather stinging midrange which I didn't hear from the '57s coupled with a good dose of bottom end thanks largely to the weight of the guitar. On that note, this guitar is heavy despite whatever body chambering that took place at the factory. 


A quick fretboard 'shower' & re-string. The default 9 - 46 strings were quite lifeless despite looking new so this DR set took over. There's something about the DR's rigidity that is so appropriate for angry music & that happened for about 30min or so before I got all sweaty & required a shower.  

2 comments:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

wow, StewMac-style push-pull CTS pots

subversion.sg said...

I didn't expect that, Encik. Thought the pots were gonna be Gibson brand.