Thursday, July 8, 2021

Knobs


Once again, a totally unnecessary mod but a happy one for me. New knobs for my Kiesel Holdsworth. There were red ones in there previously but I prefer these instead as they are more pinkish. 


This was what took place every time knobs are replaced. It's bordering on being OCD but I'll share anyway. I have this shim / wedge that I place before installing the knob. As you can see, it's made from  a trashed warranty card pieced together using sticky tape. Two layers of card material were used to give a certain clearance off the body surface.


Once the knob is in place & sits on the shim, it is locked & the shim duly removed. The reasons for doing this: 1) It provides a uniform clearance for a knob off the guitar body. We do not wish for it to be touching the body surface because it will scratch it when in use. If it sits too high, it affects effective handling. 2) It prevents us from doing a precarious balancing act while locking the knob in place. 

This is, of course, totally unnecessary & a newbie-like approach to a simple task. I'm used to this & it has its benefits. If you are a master knob installer, good for you. I stick to what works for me.

4 comments:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

business card or thin pick for me

Bernard said...

nice! where did you order the knobs from?

subversion.sg said...

Here: https://www.amazon.com/mxuteuk-Aluminum-Potentiometer-Electric-KNOB-03-25R/dp/B07TZ31NBD

Bernard said...

thanks Sub!