Sunday, February 12, 2023

Price watch (54)


Folks, this is a Gibson SG Special. It's been equipped with '61 re-issue pickups according to the seller. This accounts for the price you see there.


I'm trying to understand what Gibson's '61 Reissue pickups are. There are currently two Gibson SG models in the catalog that use the '61 citation in its model reference: 1) Custom Shop 1961 Les Paul SG Standard Reissue Stop Bar 2) SG Standard '61. Both guitars are not equipped with Gibson '61 Reissue pickups. The former has Custom Alnico III humbuckers (unpotted) & the latter, a pair of 60s Burstbuckers. So what are the '61 Reissue pickups? There might be some obscure, old, historic Gibson humbuckers going by this reference but judging by the pictures provided, those are shiny, new pickups. You'd agree that there's a high chance of misrepresentation happening, yes?


Please refrain from making such claims. I used to own an SG Special (2008). Bought it for about $800 new. I can't find any SG '61 Reissue in Gibson's current catalog but I would reference this discussion against the SG Standard '61 which I currently own. That was about $2.2K new. These two guitars look very similar less the binding, fretboard inlay & pickguard type; this I agree. The Standard came from the factory with significant cost difference which implies a different set of wood quality & workmanship. For starters, the Special is satin-finished, the Standard is lacquered over, there's already a cost difference there, not to mention other features which would not be discussed here. I'm not trying to disrepute your pricing or anything to that effect. Like I've said before, I'm not the price police but I will call out uninitiated listings which manifest a high potential for misrepresentation & downright careless cases. 

It's only yesterday that I mentioned to a friend, people need a sense of security by associating their items with models in the upper tiers (price & workmanship). It injects some superiority in the listing. It's like telling others the watch you are selling uses the same battery used in a Rolex. Or your car tyres are the brand used by Porshe. 

No comments: