Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Revived: Ibanez S320


Completed this revival today: Ibanez S320. I managed to sell off one of my headless guitars & used the funds to get this for the same amount. I bought it because it's the older S-Series sporting 22 frets. I just have a thing for S-Series with lesser frets especially this model where the fretboard is almost blank save for those dots at the 12th fret.


The body used to be black. This black stain was applied by the previous owner after sanding down the entire guitar to bare wood. I'm not too keen with black so it was re-sprayed to that blue you see in the first pic. It was not professionally done, of course. I didn't apply wood filler to level the surface so some unstained open pores could be seen. Three layers of blue was applied with a final lacquer overcoat.


Only the top surface was stained, the rear remains natural. As seen here, some black spots from the original finish still remain. I couldn't be bothered much as it's not visible from the front. 


When I received the guitar, the neck was attended to first. The fretboard was downright dirty with an awful accumulation of dirt. Evidently, this was never cleaned. The headstock was also very dusty with a missing truss rod cover. That was attended to rather easily. The owner had replacement locking pads & bolts which looked very new so these were left in as-is condition. The tuners were removed & headstock polished.


I have replacement RATIO tuners installed. The original set had one crooked peg with another missing a washer.
The original pickups had to go as well; they were scratched & the pole pieces were very rusty. I have these unused DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell lying around; they are the deserving replacements. I also have plastic covers installed so they look like active units from a distant but this was not the reason why they were there. I just wanted to make sure the pickups are well protected from sweat & dirt. If you are interested, you can get these covers at TY Music Center, less than $6 for a pair.


Of course, Beez did his magic for the electronics. A500K Alpha pots are used, together with a GOTOH 3-Way selector. The original input jack was retained as it's still in good condition. 

To be concluded...

No comments: