Monday, January 6, 2020

Standard desire


Good morning, folks. Starting the week with this entry which should have happened earlier. This was my final acquisition for 2019. After more than 15 years, what Gibson offers is finally to my liking. I had always wanted a no-frills Les Paul Standard in my arsenal & I already had one but this one really lived up to my expectations. I came close to buying a '57 reissue years ago & prices in those days were unlike the ransom amount today. I'm also not a fan of extravagant flame tops & such so a plain gold top finish like this one is sheer attraction to me.


Looking forward to replace the truss rod cover. Having a 'Standard' label there, to me, means nothing. A good guitar will defy labelled expectations. 


These, to me, are crucial. I used to dislike Burstbuckers. My other Standard has Burstbucker Pros in it & those are hard to beat. I'm not a fan of vintage tones. I can make do with any pickups but they must sound good with crazy amount of distortion pumped into them. Before this happened, the BB Pro was my standard for LP pickups but the strange thing is, the same BB Pro in an LP Special sounded way off, almost repulsive. It all boils down to pickup-instrument chemistry & in the case of this LP Standard, it's awesome chemistry to say the least. These are the BB 1 & 2, the demure sounding duo in the BB range but they exceeded my expectations. 

I should be doing a full appraisal for this one soon. Soon is when I actually have the time to do so & working in the right frame of mind. Have a good week ahead, everyone.