Monday, December 13, 2021

Super Sub


Re-string Monday, folks. The EBMM SUB1 got some playing time today. I keep this guitar in a hard case & the strings just rusted like I dipped them into sea water or something. Its a serious case of metal against hard case fur. The old strings felt sticky & it could only mean that there's some reaction between the strings & the adhesive that seeped through the fur lining. I wiped those strings before keeping it so the rust could not have been caused by organic hand fluid. 


Whatever the case, GHS to the rescue. I would have preferred D'Addarios but Davis GMC ran out of 9s in the mean time. 


My DiMarzio Super 3 humbucker rests here in the mean time. I features black pole pieces so these blend in nicely with the overall black demeanour of the instrument as seen in the first pic. I did not intend for this one to be an all black, stealth mode type but it happened. I still feel sore that EBMM had chosen to discontinue the SUB series of instruments as they are definitely vale-for-money instruments. The SUB label is now a Sterling affair & if that was an attempt to cascade the vibe into the Sterling range, it sorely missed the point.


The Super 3 is a high output, midrange heavy pickup. Its brand of chugging features some gristle that metal dudes will embrace. The pickup was set lower into the body to prevent wolf tones from manifesting as I always put my distortion on overdose. If there's an equivalent to this in the Seymour Duncan camp then it has to be the Full Shred. 

EQ pic: DiMarzio

No comments: