Thursday, December 2, 2021

MOMM (9)


The collective entity known as Cynic, continues its artistic exploits with Ascension Codes. Paul Masvidal is the only original Cynic member in the band after the departure of Jason Gobel past the debut release & the demise of Sean Reinart & Sean Malone prior to this album's conception. Cynic had been my number one reference when it comes to technical death metal with a generous peppering of prog. That android vocals in Focus caught everyone off guard but it was the defining element of that release, a landmark one, mind you. Trace in Air followed after a lengthy wait & it was worth the patience. Kindly Bent to Free Us lost me for good. I feel that it's an undeserving third release with the obvious retraction of metal & the embrace of sampling & synth. Not that it's a bad thing but the music reflected non-tangentiality which left many wondering what happened along the way. To be fair, the metal fans were left in the lurch, prog & music fans in general continued to hold KBTFU in high regard. I, in my utmost state of disappointment & denial, felt a complete waste of spending money buying the darn CD. I was re-living the Metallica Black album's pangs of regret. As for Ascension Codes, Masvidal continues where KBTFU left off with a deeper dive into electronic artistry & very little embrace of metal. Whatever the case, my decision to not buy this album was worth the consideration. I just listened to the album once, it was background music while I did my maintenance routine for my guitars. Yes, it was that unimportant. Enough already. 

Pic: Blabbermouth

No comments: