Saturday, March 1, 2008

Fender: Mustang Bass


Over the years, I've been buying & selling basses & the Fender Mustang (Jap) is the only 4-stringer left in my line-up. This belonged to my father initially, he was sold on the idea of getting a short-scale bass after seeing me buy the Ibanez GAXB but according to him, it lacks the regular thump he loves hearing from the regular scaled units. After much considerations, we agreed to swap basses; my Ernie Ball SUB bass for his Fender Mustang...
It was indeed a regretable move as the SUB was discontinued- not that I dislike the Mustang, but I should have simply bought this one from him & own 2 great basses instead of 1.
This Japanese Mustang bass isn't a re-issue by any means; it's an interpretation (& licensed) by the Eastern craftsmen on a make which was over-shadowed by its regular scaled & more popular siblings, namely the Precision & Jazz. It's not true- the Mustang is as thumping as other basses but it has a more acute midrange response due to its dwarfed nature. Those of us who are more adept to the guitar scale length would welcome the Mustang.

No comments: