Sunday, March 30, 2008

Ibanez: TM71



The Ibanez TM71 you see here is the only semi-hollow guitar I own. Those familiar with the guitar outline would know it was a member of the discontinued Talman series. The only surviving member is the signature Noodle's NDM2 (NDM1 has also been pulled out of the catalogues WEF2007 but still available in the stores).

The reason I bought this guitar wasn't actually an infatuation with the semi-hollow acoustics but really the regret of not buying the solidbody version when it was still available. Anyway, what intended to be a consolation proved to be rather lethal in terms of driven tone & playability. This is one of the very few guitars sporting a wide neck which I find very manageable. The cleans from this baby isn't stellar (blame in on the shallow body depth) but it's enough to generate a warm midrange response when one utilizes its neck humbucker for some distortion-free moments. This guitar is indeed one of the overlooked tone generator in my line-up, there were times when I plugged it in just to hear how good it sounds rather than embarking on a practice regime. It's also a showcase of the superb Artcore series craftsmanship- I've actually not come across any Artcore model which is a dud.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hi
thanks for posting this !
my wife used to own one of these tm71's . sadly we sold it .
I remember how easy it was to play . as I remember it had a shorter scale than my other guitars . I know this is asking a lot , but I wonder if you could tell me the distance it is from the nut to the bridge ? I would really appreciate it . i'm looking to buy another one . lately I've been playing a lot more chord melody solos than single note . I use a lot of stretch chords and would like a shorter scale guitar . my wife and I both have separate youtube channels . on her channel she plays foot bass and her talman tm71 while I play lead . her channel is (marlene3939)my channel is (freddym223) I play mostly the old jazz standards .
thankyou very much , and hoping to hear fr0m you
musically yours freddym223