Monday, May 26, 2008

Cable talk: Horizon


I bought this cable more than 5 years ago & it's still very functional today. It's a Horizon Neon Brites series, very much the preference of a certain Mr. Vai back then (wonder if he's still using them) but I bought it out of a genuine willingness to try. The cable is of a sturdy built to withstand tramplings hence its longevity. The plugs were shrink wrapped with a rugged layer of polymer so there's no real access to the innards unless the owner is willing to dissect the overcoat.
I'm very happy with this cable in terms of durability but it manifests a certain brightness in the upper frequencies which is to my liking because it makes my Les Pauls sound less muffled. You'd say the cable, being a secondary tone implement, wouldn't be of much significance but if you take time to compare what the market has to offer, you'd know the ones that kill your tone & the rest which would make you smile.

2 comments:

NaViRoS said...

Hahaha... my cousin have the exact same set. Works great ^.^

Any idea where else to get a set?

subversion.sg said...

I bought mine from Yamaha. Word is, the current incarnation of Horizon cables could have been better in the plug termination- I have not seen/ dissected the current version so I reserve any comments pertaining to performance quality.

These days, I'm with Canare cables.