Sunday, May 4, 2008

Seymour Duncan: SH-2N (Jazz)

I used to dismiss the Jazz (SH-2) humbucker to be a one-trick pony; it's ony good for jazz. Back then, I was only interested in high output pickups because believeably, they are better for high gain/ drive music. Along the way, what became more important to me was achieving the end, regardless of the means; I should be checking the Jazz out because it might give me what I want to hear after all, regardless of its label, no harm trying, yes? So I swallowed some pride & bought the SH-2...

...which is now resident in my Ibanez RGA121 (neck). The Jazz sounds exceptional clean, I've heard it in use in a hollow body instrument & it's more appealing to me instead of the favoured '59 humbucker by many clean tone purveyors. The clean effect is indeed a bonus to me because in a driven setting (I rarely play without distortion), the Jazz is able to articulate individual notes very clearly which is what I wanted all along as I often solo in the neck position. So what I thought was a niche pickup is indeed pliable in other tonal settings. So the lesson learnt here- never dismiss a pickup by its label.

PS: For those of you who wish to have the Jazz in your RGA guitar, be informed that there is a need to round off the angular pickup mounting flap. As you can see in the pic above, the guitar's cavity necessitates such trimmings.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the same biased thought as you did... until I heard someone put his jazz neck through a digitech death metal. Not much of a soloist, but I appreciate the clarity it gives even in rhythm chugs.

Now it sits happy in my guitar(neck), heh.

subversion.sg said...

good for us!!

i had the opportunity to hear the Jazz in action in both the neck/ bridge position- i like it better in the neck.

as far as Duncan is concerned, these 2 models are my firm favourite: Jazz/ Full Shred

Anonymous said...

Hey Sub,
how's it going?

Jazz... its my fav neck pickup(though restricted only to LP type guitars)

I've always favoured neck pickups with high clarity, low bass... it cuts thru the mix, and matches perfectly with Duncan's JB.

Great choice. Cheers

Juju

subversion.sg said...

Hi Brother Juju!! Thanks for dropping by!

I used to have all high output humbuckers in the neck which are good but like you mentioned, clarity isn't the forte of these units but I love the Duncan Distortion in the neck, it's the only pickup which I didn't mind buying 2 of... he he.

Anonymous said...

hey Sub,
i'd gladly drop by anytime.
coincidentally i'm having 2 Jazz(neck) as well, excluding previously owned, sold and traded ones...cheers Juju