Monday, September 22, 2008

FF: Fear is the Mindkiller


Flashback '90s: It's the decade of anti-guitar heroes, proponents of the instrument claimed they were better off not showing what they could really do with the instrument. So be it.
Come to think of it, this decade tested my patience because I am the type who look forward to guitar excess but many established acts seemed to agree with the flavour of the moment. The band Fear Factory, back in 1993, filled their lull time by releasing a re-mix album, Fear is the Mindkiller. I'm not one who's big on re-mixes as the essence of the songs are tempered with; it's something I don't quite appreciate. However, I am a fan of guitarist Dino Cezares who, like the rest, shunned solos but the temptation of hearing his guitar works was quite irresistable.
The dweebs who remixed the selected tracks from Soul of a New Machine to become Fear is the Mindkiller are no other than Front Line Assembly's Bill Leeb & Rhys Fuber. I was really taken aback after hearing what was put forth; some disco tracks laced with adrenaline overdose. However, the 6 tracks in this album are some of the best tamperings I've come across namely because it was done in good taste. Leeb & Fuber did well to retain the FF vibe & not moving out of context. It retained the fan-base, to say the least.

No comments: