Sunday, September 14, 2008

Gibson BFG: Yet another revision...

Yes, that's another new humbucker in my Gibson BFG- Bare Knuckles' War Pig.

I have nothing against the previous humbucker in there, Duncan's Alternative 8 is a fantastic pickup especially for high gain/ intense drive purposes but the BFG is inherently bright sounding due to its chambered body. The reason the War Pig is now the resident pickup there is because it doesn't let down in the distortion aspect while maintaining a commanding low-end response. Please do not go away believing the War Pig is a bass-inclined pickup, it's just a better performer when one is reliant on the lower frequencies.

Bare Knuckle pickups hail from England & they aren't cheap- the War Pig you see hear costs me $300+/- (yup, it's obscene). In general, a pair of Bare Knuckles pickups could easily get you a new guitar. It's not about higher pricing being equivalent to better tone either, the War Pig isn't the end-all search for the ultimate, drive-inclined humbucker, in fact, it only sounds nice in my BFG, as compared to other guitars I own.

PS: Thanks, Master Beez, for another fine installation!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just ordered a Warpig for MY BFG. Your initial description of the stock Burstbucker and the Duncan replacement matched my experiences exactly so I’m hoping my end result will be just as satisfying. I have a PeeVey Classic 30.

Do you still like the pickup?

I found it for 170 USD and will install it myself. So it’s about twice as much as the Duncan here.

subversion.sg said...

good to know another Warpig experimentalist here.

as for me, the Warpig is also twice as much as my Duncan Alternative 8.

i didn't keep my Burstbucker 3, sold it off. i have no sentimental attachments to Gibson pickups so it's no love lost :-)

thanks for dropping by, appreciate it.