Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Upgrade: Guitar vs Amp

Would you buy a spanking new guitar...

...or a new amp, should you have a sizeable amount of cash & would like to 'upgrade'?

  • I've talked to some people lately who are facing this dilemma; they could acquire either item but not both. In this case, I'd urge you to consider your situation & assess your needs. You need to look at what you have; how pathetic are your amp & guitar, which is the greater culprit?
  • If you think you need a revision in tone, you should invest in a new amp. Simply put, a $50K guitar sounds pathetic through a fundamental practice unit, but a $500 guitar would have you smiling if you plug it into the right amp (my right, isn't your right, do keep this in mind). I believe, before one buys a guitar, if it's within your financial means, get the one that you really like, the one you'd keep on playing regardless of the countless pedal addition or the number of amps you plug it into. This way, future upgrading plans would mean your guitar is the least likely factor of your unhappiness.
  • From a personal stance, this is perhaps why the number of amps I own are limited as oppossed to the number of guitars; I'm very happy with what I hear from my Marshall & Sound Drive amps. The different guitars I plug into these amps provide a differentiated enjoyment of the same, likeable, tone. That's how it is thusfar.

5 comments:

subversion.sg said...

i feel there are too many people who are enticed into swapping pickups only to plug the guitar back into their practice amps. time & again, i would advise friends/ acquaintances to think this through but some of them won't listen...

Ijau D. Koceng said...

yeah, my buddies always encourage me to swap for hi-end pickups which was a really bull$hit idea...

since my stock pickups (STD for GIO and CVR for kelly) sound was great when plugged directly into studio's PA system, it's no point to swap them, with the same budget i could get a nice amp

subversion.sg said...

when the manufacturers equip specific pickups back at the factory for their guitars, the pairing actually works well- they sound very acceptable during production tone test. when these leave the factory, they get plugged into other amps which make them sound different & repulsive to some of us...

naz said...

Hey sub.

So if i'm planning to buy an amp say with a budget of 500, what would you recommend me to try out?

I'm currently using ibanezTB15 as a practising amp. It's good, but I've tried a few times on full volume and gain and the sound just don't come out if you know what i mean.

Planning to get something that has great drive without any or at the very efx pedal and still has a good clean tone. So i can rock the house and yet not kill any neighbours with heart problems.

subversion.sg said...

in this case bro, you check out Marshall's MG15MS2 mini stack... :-)