Saturday, September 6, 2008

Ibanez: SA2020 (disct'd)

This is another Korean Ibanez Prestige (SA2020) model that I own. Every time I mention it to friends, it begs this question: Why spend too much money on a Korean guitar?


I recently had the following mods done for this guitar:

  • Remove: default DiMarzio/ IBZ pickups, Instal: DiMarzio Breed (n) & X2N (b)
  • Remove: 5-way pickup selector switch, Instal: 3-way selector + coil split push-pull switch
  • Remove: default control knobs, Instal: locking chrome knobs
  • Remove: default capacitor, Instal: Orange Drop capacitor

The guitar's neck is quite the attraction for me; note how the body's lacquer coating ends at the guitar's set neck area. The neck's rear is totally lacquer free, a super smooth satin feel to be precise.



The guitar also comes with a set of Gotoh tuners but the plastic buttons is acquired taste.

To a certain extent, spending too much on a Korean guitar is not a prudent practice. Despite the 'Prestige' tag, this guitar would not command a high re-sale value but I'm not one to purchase an instrument with a re-sale consideration as priority. I bought this SA2020 because it sounds good, displays praise-worthy craftsmanship & it supplements my playing very well.

I'm not a keen fan of DiMarzio pickups but I've decided to have them in this guitar anyway; it's a psychological challenge on a personal note- if one likes the tone then the brand name should not matter.

  • The X2N bridge pickup is one the manufacturer's very high output pickup. This is perfect for all things angry, distortion inclined & black metal; that's my playing staple & the X2N fits the bill.
  • The Breed neck humbucker is from another world with regards to its bridge counterpart but it gives me what I need; something PAF-like without sounding lacking when it comes to high gain/ drive situation. It's something that won't let me down when there is a need for clean tones. No, I didn't buy it because of Steve Vai...
  • Both pickups sound splendid in split mode

No comments: