Saturday, November 29, 2008

Cynic: Traced in Air

I've recently received my copy of CYNIC's Traced In Air; this album being a much anticipated release is really an under-statement of my wait for it... As you can see above, I got myself a limited edition digipak version which came with a complementary poster (thanks Inokii!!).

The only reason why I'm into this band is because of the accomplished players, but Traced in Air is missing original guitarist Jason Gobel (Tymon Kruidenier- a deserving replacement!). Also, for live performances, Professor Sean Malone's absence is aptly filled in by Robin Zielhorst. However, Traced in Air saw no decline in musicianship, in fact the band did much better this time round with extensive guitar dabblings (& bass, of course) & the diminution of that cyborg vocals- Cynic is still a death metal act, do keep this in mind.

Is this a deserving perpetuation of Focus? It's that and more. If you've been waiting & hoping Cynic would live up to their hype as the premiere technical death metal act to tread this planet- they didn't let anyone down.

No comments: