Sunday, November 2, 2008

The first: Part 5


The first stomp box I bought was BOSS' Metal Zone. I was the very first few owners of this pedal which debuted at Davis GMC. The store was located at another smaller venue back then, which is now a t-shirt store, just adjacent to the eatery at the basement of Peninsular Hotel.

The pedal was my first real induction into heavy distortion with enough EQ options to vary tone. It proved to be very popular even with the non-metal dweebs, the shredder like the extra kick this pedal offers in terms of distortion.

Along the way, I managed to plug the MT-2 into other amps & it sounded good regardless of the amp types/ brand names. However, I was playing louder progressively & required the MT-2 to be turned up, that's when the I discovered the pedal's Achilles heel; it sounded muffled at louder settings.

I don't own the MT-2 any more simply because there are other pedals today that address my needs, some of which cost much lesser & contain better (subjective) features (eg: True bypass switching). However, I definitely prefer an amplifier's inherent drive/ distortion than pedals. After more than 15 years of playing, I hear better tones coming from direct guitar-amp interaction rather than having pedals in between.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it was my first as well, i just made two modifications to it but it sits unused after i tried the sansamp gt2..you don't realize how bad something is till you try something much better...

subversion.sg said...

my philosophy with pedals are always to leave them be. if they require some mods, it means they are not good enough/ don't meet my needs.

Anonymous said...

It was my first pedal too.. mine still gets kicked from time to time.