Saturday, November 1, 2008

Jeff Loomis: Zero Order Phase

Jeff Loomis is very much responsible for the crushing heavy tones of Nevermore but as impressive as the band is, I've largely ignored the US-based metal bands in general for their predictability (not that black metal is very refreshing all the time) & the inclinations to tread the admissible path.

That aside, I am always all ears to guitar technicalities especially of the heavy type since all things heavy tend to be traditional- maybe this is the very reason I embrace black metal more than the rest of metal's sub-genres. I am hereby thankful Jeff Loomis released his solo album as an instrumental release rather than having guest vocalists to fill in the obligations but after listening to selected Nevermore materials, I know Mr. Loomis is of the shredder's ilk & he's very much capable of churning out guitar instrumentals of this nature. The last time I come across a heavy instrumental release was Chris Poland's Return to Metalopolis so Zero Order phase is a treasure.

I find the guitar arrangements & phrasings of Zero Order Phase to be very exciting & quite devoid of predictable melodies. There are moments here invocating the greatness of Jason Becker & the intricacy of Meshuggah. However, I must say that the appearance of bass genius Michael Manring is the the fervid factor to acquire this album- no offence Mr. Loomis sir, but your release is one of the more important ones on my list lately.

No comments: