Saturday, February 13, 2010

My fav Ibanez player

My favourite Ibanez player is... I like both Paul Gilbert & Frank Gambale, really. However, my all time favourite Ibanez wielder has to be Frank Gambale for his astronomical technique & tone. I am also intrigued by his use of the S-series for the music while all the shred dweebs in the 1980s were satiating themselves with RGs, the proverbial 1,000-notes-per-second tool. Among other things, Mr. Thunder from Down Under also taught me the taming down of all things trebly. I watched Mr. Gambale live & he has his top end turned way down which gave the guitar a signature rumble without turning mushy & why is that so? Because the midrange is pumped up.

However, the eye-opener for me when it comes to Frank Gambale, is his sweep picking technique which is beyond reach to the majority of us. I thought Yngwie Malmsteen was the ultimate reference of this arpeggiated technicality but I was wrong of course. Unlike Malmsteen, Mr. Thunder's philosophy is incorporation not mere convenience.

Today, Frank Gambale plays Yamaha guitars & Mr Thunder is awaiting his subsequent Yamaha signature which had been, em, infinitely delayed, it seems. *Sigh*

No comments: