Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My Fav Tele player

My favourite Telecaster player has to be- MUST be- the late Danny Gatton. So prodigious was his ability he needed only a beer bottle in an absence of a true slide, for his playing. I was searching for a dynamic Tele player to relate to because the lads who sport this guitar for their music are namely country music peddlers- a turn off for me...
Danny Gatton did a wonderful thing for his music- he manifested variation. He stood firm in the country turf but displayed outright ability for pop hooks. This I discovered through his 88 Elmira Street release; you know the Simpsons theme song? He did that with sheer ease. There's this track called Fandingus which had him aim his amp at the rear of a fan so the mic capturing the final product caught the garggled guitar tones which was a simple meddling of the surroundings, really. Genius!
************************
4th of October 1994- Gatton shot himself in a locked up garage & left no explanations for his departure.

5 comments:

Marcus said...

yes indeed , Gatton was a maestro with the tele.

Let us not forget the late Buchanan too.

subversion.sg said...

Gatton's still top in my books- he's just too good for everybody else :-)

Marcus said...

i can't find his CDs in sg though.

subversion.sg said...

i bought all his releases @ BORDERS back then...

Guitar said...

Hi, I'm the proprietor of www.myguitarspace.com . We're the social network for guitarists. I thought your readers might like to know about a new contest we're having:http://www.myguitarspace.com/contests/guitar-co.... Also, join to promote yourself and your efforts. please feel free to contact me any time: Andy Rice,
email: caandyr@ix.netcom.com