Monday, November 28, 2011

Lesser treasures

I've come across too many accounts of people selling off their 'beginner' guitars to embrace a more revered brand name- Squiers, Epiphones, LTDs & Ibanez GIOs among others, have been sold to rookies who are very eager to discover the joy of the electric guitar. We do not put our budget instruments under fine inspection & give due recognition to the QC & tone on offer. To many of us, these are get-by units, there shouldn't be excessive concerns on the aforementioned matters. But I recently came across what Will Ray (Google: Hellecasters) said about his SX guitars:

Okay, I confess: I do a daily search for SX guitars on eBay. Why? Because I’ve owned SX axes before and know they’re built solid and they’re cheap. I was first turned on to SX guitars by my neighbor Martin, who started buying them four years ago. Whenever I played one of his SX electrics, I was always surprised at their quality relative to their price. So I bought my first SX a few years ago just to test the waters and was quietly blown away. I currently own four SX guitars . . . and counting.

So, should we all trash our Fenders, Gibsons & PRSes to embrace the lesser known names out there? Note that Will Ray did not give excessive homage to the brand name, in fact, there was emphasis on craftsmanship relative to price. I believe we should all take time to do likewise & not hold the brand name ransom to exclusive quality assessments. At the end of it all, if you choose to sell off whatever affordable guitars you own, it's your prerogative anyway.

4 comments:

Dr. Bentara said...

somebody says that Agile is a good cheapos too. Any comment?

subversion.sg said...

they aren't 'cheapos'...

Godsmen said...

Agile was never cheap ah but quality very good.

Kamran said...

http://junioraudio-hermitintraining.blogspot.com/2010/07/odds-and-ends.html