Saturday, August 10, 2013

Duncanized: LTD TE-212

My LTD TE-212...

Recent make-over: Seymour Duncan '59 in both neck & bridge positions. The neck humbucker is a used pickup in zebra finish- the reason I covered it up. This added to the black aesthetics of the guitar body. I tried covering the bridge pickup as well but that slot would not accommodate this addition & the fact that it's metal, it would mean much hassle should filing take place.

This exercise is a timely reminder that:
  • lower output pickups could be as menacing as higher output ones in terms of distortion- you just have to know what to use given the guitar's characteristics
  • heavy guitars (weight-wise) do wonders in terms of shaping the lower frequencies. This LTD is one of my heavier guitars & I just went with my gut feelings (which is arguably quite well-honed in terms of the number of guitars I own & the number of pickup swaps done- not showing off but it's a fact...) in terms of which pickups should be in there. I somehow knew it won't benefit from high output models considering the weight & acoustic resonance. 
Thanks Master Beez for the master touches (as always).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Need yr advice then bro. I have a swamp ash bodied Agile Intrepid 8. I'm at a lost to get a round tone for leads from the bridge pup. Shud i go for a higher output DiMarzio D Activator or a lower output Duncan Full Shred 8?

subversion.sg said...

D Activators won't give you any smooth tones, they're emulating angry active units so... :-)

Full shred will still retain an edgy top end, you need to turn down your tone knob to get some rounded top end.

speaking of tone knob, if your guitar is sporting a passive circuit, have an orange drop capacitor in there & check if this complements your needs rather than starting off with a pickup swap :-)

Reuel Tan said...

ah i never realised why my heavier guitar gave off a much sweeter low frequency than my lighter guitar even though the lighter one is equipped with a full humbucker. thanks for the enlightenment sub!

Unknown said...

Just bought one a te-212M and finding the bridge pickup to be underwhelming as i play metal. Has anyone ever tried a duncan tele hotrail in the bridge, and if so how did that compare to the jb. Also was wondering about warmoth neck swap and fitability? The neck is fairly nice on this guitar but a nice birds eye one would look awesome, I'm also not a fan a extra jumbo frets