Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Russian menace (1)

Maybe I'm a sucker for minor mods but I got excited when TYMC announced they are carrying the Russian K40Y-9 capacitor. That's how big it is compared to a 2mm guitar pick. The K40Y-9 is a highly acclaimed cap amongst audiophiles, they get to hear the performance rather immediately as opposed to us guitar dweebs, a large majority of whom couldn't quite differentiate tonal difference from pickups let alone a capacitor whose good life needs some 'breaking-in' time very much like tubes in amps.

So here it is, the K40Y-9 in my Jackson DK2 orange guitar. I sent this guitar to Beez for a push-pull coil split switch replacement so the opportunity was there to try this cap out.

To be continued...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Is it bigger than the usual orange caps?

subversion.sg said...

thinner...

YusTech said...

I am considering trying out 3 generic caps.22n,33n and 47n for HSH.Am quiet new with this tone thing as I'm "by the book" person which would be suited for 500k pot with noticeable tone roll off.
Thanks in advance.

subversion.sg said...

Traditionally, humbuckers go well with a .22 but gibson does a .15 for the neck humbucker for their signature tone. I'm with a .22 for humbuckers, variation only if I'm after a particular tone performance otherwise it's orange drops :-)

YusTech said...

Thank you Sub.