Sunday, August 5, 2018

DC vs Paisley


Nah... I'm not pitting these two against each other, they are awesome in their own rights. It's the first time I played them sequentially in a single sitting.

Took the DC out to hear the pickups in action more than anything else. This is one of the guitars whose default pickups I'm happy with- the Lithium humbuckers. The fatter, rounder neck profile is also a break from the Paisley's which I've been playing the entire week.

The Paisley was played after the DC as a psychological reminder of what I've been used to for the last few days or so. It's a return to familiar settings of sorts but it didn't affect my playing in that way. The only familiar feel that I would call 'familiar' is the Ibanez neck profile as I've been accustomed to this neck type for the longest time. 

OK so the real 😁 reason I played them this morning was to feel the difference in fretboard radius; flat (Kiesel @ 14") vs curved (Fender @ 7.25"). The Kiesel did well for both solos & riffs, especially for the latter. The Fender's curved profile manifested some challenge in terms of riffing especially at the E & A strings. The fingers tend to work harder resisting the curvature as notes get muted easily if you don't observe/ maintain a certain arching. For someone who riffs incessantly with furious right hand movements & keeping ideas at the lower neck register, the flatter radius wins it. However, I tend to legato better with a curved fretboard radius & this is indeed a recent discovery (OK maybe not that recent as in this morning); my picking hand is more relaxed. So ladies & gentlemen, if you think fretboard radius influences the fretting hand exclusively, know that the picking hand gets affected as well but not as much. It becomes more apparent if you hear your playing through recordings, you'd realize the degree of extraneous noise presence changes when playing different guitars with different fretboard profiles. However, this is not a marked occurrence because implements like the noise gate & fret wraps play their role effectively to make sure you are what you play without those little things getting in the way. 

No comments: