Thursday, August 2, 2018

Thin shreds


This was another lesson in snob appeal. I entered guitardom with a shred-type guitar (whatever that means) & honed my speed on the tried & trusted formula of thin profile neck + jumbo frets with regards to fretting hand dexterity. Along the way, I was indeed drawn to other neck profiles from other brand names due to the music I listen to; who could really resist a Fender temptation after listening to SRV, yes? I did try many guitars along the way but rejected the less familiar feel of both the neck carve & fret profile. 

The Fender Telecaster you see here is a Japanese Pink Paisley model with a rather slim neck but a much rounded carve (a C if you will) & narrow, short frets the industry deemed as vintage (again, whatever that means). I actually had second thoughts about this guitar because it was rather off my preferences; it was hardly shredable, to put it bluntly. However, guitardom consists of people who can shred on any guitar because of their ability & not about the tools per se- Danny Gatton & John Lowery (that's John 5 to the rest of us) are just two among many to underscore this understanding. After handling it in the stores with lots of gain in the mix, it's indeed one of my most shred-worthy guitar I came across despite the 'wayward' spec. The only annoying thing I have to deal with is the tendency for the strings to scratch the fretboard each & every time excessive pressure was applied. 

No comments: