Monday, August 20, 2018

Thin picking


This happened over the weekend. When you recommend others your preferences, chances of them liking your selections is a 50/50 affair. I had some people asking why my acoustic picking sounded precise. My immediate answer- I use hard picks. I ended up giving some folks a few samples of what I use (namely DAW picks which I have plenty of) to get a feel of how non-flex (aka stiff) picks give that precise click during fast runs but the oversight here is that, the folks whom I talked to were ardent strummers. They don't do single notes on acoustics so having a hard pick would definitely be the wrong way to go. So to make amends, I recommended them the red/ green Jim Dunlops you see above (both were less than 1mm) to their delight because the raised etchings there improved their pick grip. Oh, well.

4 comments:

yong c said...

Oh well what? You recommended something suitable while keeping in mind what they do. It should be OH YEAH

YusTech said...

Me too sir. 0.50mm for acoustic but 5.0mm for electric.

subversion.sg said...

Oh, well- I thought others can easily shift into our embrace but it seems that we tend to forget others are not us :-)

Ijau D. Koceng said...

used to love >1.0mm picks, then shifted to smaller jazz III types... nowadays using thinner and more flexible picks, just like that red/green dunlop riff picks