Thursday, December 12, 2019

Size matters


This is pretty much the only Black Friday deal for me this year. Good discounts happened at Gravity Picks so it was an easy decision since I'm a fan. I'm currently favouring the 003 XL version (left), this time I spec'd a smaller manifestation very close to a Jazz III, devoid of any grip enhancing features. The objective was to find out if size enhances grip. If it does, grip enhancements are unnecessary.

Verdict: Size influences grip. Two things: 1) Psychology 2) Picking style. 
  • I'm too used to bigger picks so half the battle here was telling myself it isn't difficult dealing with something smaller, something out of my comfort zone. I failed miserably. Even before any picking happened, I dropped the darn pick.
  • Many of us get along with the Jazz II-esque picks (regardless of the brand) because of our playing style. If you are not peddling bass notes furiously all the time, it would be a winning outcome. It was definitely not the case for me. More energy was expended trying to hold the pick in place & I got tired very quickly.
The circumstances discussed above might not hold true for some of us because we were conditioned to prefer a certain pick type regardless of our music genre. This is especially true if we started with a certain pick type & went on with it for a very long time before trying something else for variety's sake. For my case, I was with the Stubby 2mm for a long time & moved on to the 3mm version. Then on, I couldn't get along with something thinner or smaller. 

Might be giving away those failed picks 😔

No comments: